The Linden-Peters Rural County Fire Protection District was legally formed on June 18, 1937. The first Board of Directors meeting was held at the Linden Unified High School Building on June 23, 1937 at 8:00 p.m. The original Board included H.P. Lynch, Hubert Smythe, John J. Lyons, Andrew Solo, and Alfred Watkins. The first fire house, a garage near the present Lions Club, was rented from George DiCarlo for $1.00 per year.
The first Fire Chief, Walter Cady, was hired in July of 1937. The first list of Volunteer Firefighters filed with the State Compensation Insurance Fund included: William Doscher Sr., B.R. Purviance, Al Marvin, George DiCarlo, and Walter Cady. In 1939, the Fire District purchased a building on the north east corner of Hwy 26 and Market St. from William Doscher.
Today, the fire department responds from one fire station located at 17725 East Highway 26 covering an area of approximately 157 square miles which is populated by more than 4,000 residents. The district’s landscape is made up of residential homes, agricultural land, large commercial processing companies, small businesses’, and the Linden Unified School District.
The Fire District is governed by an elected board made up of five members. Each board member is elected and serves a four year term. Some board members have been providing sound guidance and leadership to the department’s fire chief since the 1970’s.
The department provides many services to its citizens and visitors such as fire suppression, emergency medical services, specialized rescue and hazardous materials response. Whatever we do, the safety of our personnel, citizens and visitors is our top priority.
Please check back soon for more details on our history. In the meantime feel free to contact us for any questions or concerns.